There's no doubt about it that Big Data is a powerful discovery tool, but all too often when you analyse a lot of data, you end up with a lot of results - too many, in fact, to be able to hold them all in your head simultaneously.
Images are processed 60,000 times faster in the brain than text, and are more easily committed to long-term memory. Visuals also make it easier to tell stories with data.
So learning how to create powerful visualisations is a vital weapon in the Data Scientist's armoury.
If you're not sure how to get started learning the essential skills of data visualisation, the 3 books in this blog post will help you make your first steps.
Disclosure: the three books in this post link you to the listed book at your local Amazon store. We may earn an affiliate commission for purchases you make when using the links to books on this page.
In this post - the 7th in a series of 8 in which we bring you 21 Inspirational Books for All Aspiring Data Scientists, we highlight 3 books to introduce you to data visualisation and how it is being used in Data Science:
- Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals
- The Truthful Art: Data, Charts, and Maps for Communication
- Effective Data Visualization: The Right Chart for the Right Data
They are all highly entertaining and will teach you exactly which visualisations to use in any given circumstance to really maximise the potential in your data...
by Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic
Don’t simply show your data – tell a story with it!
Storytelling with Data teaches you the fundamentals of data visualization and how to communicate effectively with data. You’ll discover the power of storytelling and the way to make data a pivotal point in your story. The lessons in this illuminative text are grounded in theory, but made accessible through numerous real-world examples – ready for immediate application to your next graph or presentation.
Storytelling is not an inherent skill, especially when it comes to data visualization, and the tools at our disposal don’t make it any easier. This book demonstrates how to go beyond conventional tools to reach the root of your data, and how to use your data to create an engaging, informative, compelling story.
Specifically, you’ll learn how to:
- Understand the importance of context and audience
- Determine the appropriate type of graph for your situation
- Recognize and eliminate the clutter clouding your information
- Direct your audience’s attention to the most important parts of your data
- Think like a designer and utilize concepts of design in data visualization
- Leverage the power of storytelling to help your message resonate with your audience
Together, the lessons in this book will help you turn your data into high impact visual stories that stick with your audience. Rid your world of ineffective graphs, one exploding 3D pie chart at a time. There is a story in your data – Storytelling with Data will give you the skills and power to tell it!
by Alberto Cairo
No matter what your actual job title, you are – or soon will be – a data worker.
Every day, at work, home, and school, we are bombarded with vast amounts of free data collected and shared by everyone and everything from our co-workers to our calorie counters. In this highly anticipated follow-up to The Functional Art – Alberto Cairo’s foundational guide to understanding information graphics and visualization – the respected data visualization professor explains in clear terms how to work with data, discover the stories hidden within, and share those stories with the world in the form of charts, maps, and infographics. In The Truthful Art, Cairo transforms elementary principles of data and scientific reasoning into tools that you can use in daily life to interpret data sets and extract stories from them.
The Truthful Art explains:
- The role infographics and data visualization play in our world
- Basic principles of data and scientific reasoning that anyone can master
- How to become a better critical thinker
- Step-by-step processes that will help you evaluate any data visualization (including your own)
- How to create and use effective charts, graphs, and data maps to explain data to any audience
by Stephanie D. H. Evergreen
Written by sought-after speaker, designer, and researcher Stephanie D. H. Evergreen, Effective Data Visualization shows readers how to create Excel charts and graphs that best communicate data findings.
This comprehensive how-to guide functions as a set of blueprints – supported by research and the author’s extensive experience with clients in industries all over the world – for conveying data in an impactful way.
Delivered in Evergreen’s humorous and approachable style, the book covers the spectrum of graph types available beyond the default options, how to determine which one most appropriately fits specific data stories, and easy steps for making the chosen graph in Excel.
All 7 posts in the series:
- 21 Inspirational Books for All Aspiring Data Scientists:
- 3 Great Data Science Books for Aspiring Data Scientists
- 3 Must-Read Statistics Books for Aspiring Data Scientists
- 3 Essential Python Books for Aspiring Data Scientists
- 3 Books on R That all Aspiring Data Scientists Should Read
- 3 Inspirational Machine Learning Books for Aspiring Data Scientists
- 3 Essential Visualisation Books for Aspiring Data Scientists
- 3 Must-Read Books on Data Ethics for Aspiring Data Scientists
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $39.96Was: $48.00
- Price: Check on Amazon
- Price: $35.27Was: $40.00
- Price: $33.96Was: $49.95
- Price: Check on Amazon